We have reported that the Thai Government is arresting Christians who have fled there from Pakistan. They have as one puts it, “done no sin in Thailand.” We hear over and over “we are not criminals, why are we being treated as animals?”
The world media has so far been virtually silent on this. Voice of America has recently done a report. Citing the reason for the crackdown is to gain control of human trafficking. While human trrafficking is a huge problem in this area, it is far from Christians seeking refuge from Persecution.
- “Thailand is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women and children trafficked for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation and forced labor. Thailand’s relative prosperity attracts migrants from neighboring countries who flee conditions of poverty and, in the case of Burma, military repression. Significant illegal migration to Thailand presents traffickers with opportunities to coerce or defraud undocumented migrants into involuntary servitude or sexual exploitation.”
- Women and children are trafficked from Burma, Cambodia, Laos, the People’s Republic of China (P.R.C.), Vietnam, Russia and Uzbekistan for commercial sexual exploitation in Thailand.
The AP did an initial story on the plight of the Christian refugee’s from Pakistan in Thailand citing that they were stuck in limbo waiting for the UNHCR to hear their cases. This was done the end of February. Day’s after this report came out the arrests started. Thailand is not a signatory to the UNHCR but they do have an office there. Thailand is easy to obtain a tourist visa, but when the visa runs out they consider it illegal to stay. Even though they have applied for assylum with the UNHCR. And as I reported previously they are threatening the UNCHR in it’s recent decision and aid to one of the ‘Red Shirts’ protestors. So there are many factors at work here. And though Assylum seeking is not a crime to the international world, Thailand refuses to recognize this. Again we find many layers like an onion and the more you peel away the skin, the more odious it becomes.
Assylum seeking is not a crime. Some facts about Assylum seeking, it is a long standing practice.
- The right of asylum(sometimes called political asylum, from the Greek word άσυλο ) is an ancient juridical concept, under which a person persecuted by their own country may be protected by another sovereign authority, a foreign country, or church sanctuaries (as in medieval times).
- This right has its roots in a longstanding Western tradition—although it was already recognized by the Egyptians, the Greeks and the Hebrews; Descartes went to the Netherlands, Voltaire to England, Hobbes to France, and each state offered protection to persecuted foreigners.
- Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that “Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.”
- The United Nations 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and the 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees guides national legislation concerning political asylum. Under these agreements, a refugee is a person who is outside their own country’s territory (or place of habitual residence if stateless) owing to fear of persecution on protected grounds.
- Protected grounds include race, caste,nationality, religion, political opinions and membership and/or participation in any particular social group or social activities.
- Rendering true victims of persecution to their persecutor is a particularly odious violation of a principle called non-refoulement, part of the customary and trucial Law of Nations.
Why in a modern world touted by western leaders as being ‘free, fair and democratic’ are these human rights abuses taking place? Why is the UNHRC silent? Why is the UN High Commission of Human Rights silent? Why is the media refusing to cover this? If ever there were a clear violation of international law this is it. I was sickened yesterday when Fox news carried a story about a puppy that workers in Thailand saved from a tail pipe, but refuse to cover the abuses carried out by the Thai Government against Christians. And remember these Christians fled Pakistan under threat of death per the Blasphemy law. The recent church bombings in Pakistan prove how volatile it is for Christians there. Asia Bibi is still awaiting a death sentence for simply being a Christian who dared to drink from a muslim well, thus charged with blasphemy and sentenced to hang. And as it has been described “we’ve left one hell for another.”
Contact your representatives and ask them to look into this. Ask them to ask for an emergency meeting in Congress and the UN to address this. We have to speak out. We have to raise awareness, and aid for those suffering. With so much suffering in the world, it’s hard to know what to do, prayer and speaking out are our best tools.
I don’t know who published this video but from everything I’ve read about the detention centers these Christians are being held in, it’s true.
- Pray for God to use the officials in the Thai Government to show mercy.
- Pray for the prisoners in the detention centers, pray that they will find solace, and comfort in the darkness.
- Pray for supernatural strength for them and their families and for endurance.
- Pray that God will show his light and mercy to the guards to soften their hearts.
- Pray for God to send caring hands to them.
- Pray for those who are stranded in limbo that their cries and cases will be heard, pray that they be grated a safe country to reside and not be sent back to Pakistan.
Credit to Wikipedia
By C. Refsland
Categories: attacks on Christianity, Christian persecution, Christianity in the news, Exploitation of Children, Human Rights Abuses, Middle East Crises, news, News Of The Day Heartbreaking & Prophetic, Pakistan, Thailand