By Julia &CJ
Is it possible that the Body of Christ is committing one or more of what is known as the 7 deadly sins? A Rebellious attitude refusing to follow Christs commands of the great commision, is over powering modern day churches, filled with gluttonous pride, without fear of consequences.
Facts about the 7 deadly sins
• The seven deadly sins, also known as the capital vices or cardinal sins, is a grouping and classification of vices within Christian teachings.
• Behaviours or habits are classified under this category if they directly give birth to other immoralities.
- pride, greed, lust,envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth
• These sins are often thought to be abuses or excessive versions of one’s natural faculties or passions
• This classification originated with the desert fathers, especially Evagrius Ponticus, who identified seven or eight evil thoughts or spirits that one needed to overcome.
• The Catholic Church used the doctrine of the deadly sins in order to help people stop their inclination towards evil before dire consequences and misdeeds occur
• The leader-teachers especially focused on pride (which is thought to be the one that severs the soul from Grace, and one that is representative and the very essence of all evil)
• And greed, both of which are seen as inherently sinful and as underlying all other sins (although greed, when viewed just by itself and discounting all the sins it might lead to, is generally thought be less serious than sloth).
So what does the Bible say about this? Are these sins outlined by early church fathers Biblical?
21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.
Bible Studies commentary says this about gluttony: The sin of gluttony is idolatry – it is a choice to self-love, comfort, and control through food.
1 Corinthians 10:7
7 Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: “The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry.”
Moses father in law gave him sound advice on how to teach the people ordinances and laws,one of them being to hate covetousness even as we too are instructed today!(Exodus 18:15-24).
Gluttony comes in many forms and Jesus gave instruction of the importance not to be overtaken by the cares of this life before His return or we would miss Him.He addressed gluttony as surfeiting which is to be caught up in an overindulgance of drink,food or anything that is in excess! (Luke 21:29-38).
We can clearly see all these sins in the modern mega-prosperity churches of today.
While gluttony seems to center on food, it seems to combine greed, self centered all about me attitudes, and worldly lusts. Its not hard to see all these qualities in the churches of today. Look at the mega-prosperity churches, then look at the smaller churches patterning themselves after these houses of gluttony. Oh too harsh? Not. The lobbies are replete with donut and coffee bars, some with gyms, some with yoga and their own private masseuse and all with cushy, plush seats, large screen projectors with sound systems out of a theater. Theatrical lights and a booth from which to run the show. Refusing to talk about sin for fear of offending its shouted blessings for all as all raise hands to worship. In fact its not called a service or sermon any longer its called praise and worship.
All fine you say? What about the great commision given by Christ? To make desciples of all? You cant make disciples without teaching why they need Gods grace in the first place. Pointing out sin and the wages of sin.
Jesus had a magnificent Temple to worship in and teach, yet he called it a den of theives. He didnt preserve this, He didnt tell His disciples to build Him a place worship. He said in Mathew 8, foxes have holes,and birds have nests, yet the Son of Man has no where to lay His head. And when Peter saw the transfiguration with Christ and Moses and Elijah he wanted to build shelters for them. And Jesus said tell no one. Christ sent His disciples into the wilds to teach and preach the Gospel. So why have we built towers of magnificance? Instead of following Christs command.
They have lost their first love and have turned to lusting after numbers, worldly pleasures and gluttonous blessings and forgot the doctrine taught by Christ and the early church. Will He find us going about His business when He returns? Or will he spew this gluttonous luke warm church out of His mouth? We fear the latter. Time to wake up.
Credit to Wikipedia, Bible Studies.com, wikimedia commons public domain (photos)